You are here:
Disclaimer: Product links contain affiliate marketing links where I get a small commission when you purchase from that site. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Also, please verify all product and pricing information directly with the linked brands. I am not responsible for errors or product discrepancies.
Author’s Note: I purchased all of my Mack Weldon underwear with my own money, except for the Stealth boxer briefs, which Mack Weldon sent me for free to review. I was not compensated in any other way except for affiliate marketing if you purchase.
Table of Contents
- My Review of Mack Weldon Underwear
- The Details
- Conclusion: Are Mack Weldon Underwear Worth it?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Wanting to bridge the “fusion between old-school quality and modern-day technology,” Mack Weldon started as a premium men’s underwear company in 2011. Since then, Mack Weldon has expanded into other parts of men’s fashion, including shirts, pants, jackets, accessories, and workout gear. Yet I am most interested in Mack Weldon underwear, and as an avid fan, I wrote this Ultimate Guide to help you choose your ideal Mack Weldon underwear.
Mack Weldon sells a complete assortment of men’s underwear, including the main four styles of briefs, trunks, boxer briefs, and boxer shorts. Mack Weldon also has several collections for different activities, from everyday wear to athletic and water-tolerant underwear. Yet, Mack Weldon doesn’t produce less-common underwear styles such as jockstraps, bikini briefs, or thongs. You also won’t find novelty designs like Shinesty’s X-Rated Collection.
What you will find is high-quality men’s underwear with timeless designs. Mack Weldon offers four collections of men’s underwear, so use my guide to determine which collection(s) work best for you.
My Review of Mack Weldon Underwear
I own eight pairs of Mack Weldon underwear: two Silver trunks, two AIRKNITx trunks, one AIRKNITx brief, two Stealth boxer briefs, and one 18-hour Jersey trunk. My favorites are my three AIRKNITx pairs, not so much the Silver and 18-hour Jersey trunks. To me, this makes complete sense. I strongly prefer modal, bamboo, or polyester/nylon fabrics, which AIRKNITx provides. I don’t mix well with cotton, which is the basis of my Silver and 18-hour Jersey trunks. The Stealth boxer briefs are meant for getting into the water, as they are more of specialty underwear. My experience is why knowing which fabrics you like and don’t like is so important!
The AIRKNITx pairs look amazing, as I love the colors, especially the contrast stitching on my white trunks and blue briefs. The material is so soft, and it feels so comfortable while wearing. The 17% Elastane content is key here as elastane (Spandex) allows the fabric to stretch. Many pairs of men’s underwear are 5% or less elastane content, so you can imagine how nice 17% feels. Yet, I don’t find my AIRKNITx pairs riding up as they stay in place nicely.
The best part of my Silver trunks is the pattern, as I like both designs, the blue one a bit more. However, as my Silver trunks are cotton-based – not modal-based like the Silver HD trunks – I am not as comfortable in them as the AIRKNITx pairs. The same goes for the 18-Hour Jersey trunks I own.
On the other hand, one aspect I prefer of the Silver trunks over the AIRKNITx pairs is the waistband size. The standard men’s underwear waistband is around 1.5”. I like thinner waistbands, so I appreciate that the Silver trunks have a 1.5” waistband instead of 1.75” on the 18-Hour Jersey and AIRKNITx collection. Although, the AIRKNITx waistbands feel a bit softer than the Silver and 18-Hour Jersey waistbands. I don’t know if this is by design or if it just so happened that the batch I have uses a slightly different fabric content.
I purchased my first pair in 2019 to try out, followed by five pairs in 2020, and the two Stealth boxer briefs in 2023, so I am pretty happy with all of my Mack Weldon underwear. All eight have held up very well. I feel sophisticated while wearing them, as underwear does influence your self-confidence like any other article of clothing!
The Details of Mack Weldon Underwear
I’ll use my nine criteria below to analyze Mack Weldon underwear and provide tips.
Material and Fabric
I want to start this guide by discussing material and fabric because Mack Weldon specifically organizes their underwear by the fabric. Mack Weldon has seven different fabric collections, although only five of them pertain to underwear:
- 18-Hour Jersey Collection: Made of 47.5% cotton, 47.5% modal, and 5% Spandex, the 18-Hour Jersey Collection is Mack Weldon’s original underwear collection. The “18-Hour” name refers to the 18 hours Mack Weldon lets the fabric rest before sewing. Mack Weldon claims the 18-hour rest period creates a fabric that “won’t twist or bunch.” I have a pair of 18-hour Jersey trunks, which I’ll comment on toward the end of this guide. This collection is best for lounging or everyday underwear.
- AIRKNITx: My favorite Mack Weldon underwear, AIRKNITx is made from 50% polyamide, 33% polyester, and 17% elastane (Spandex). It feels like a mesh blend and is highly comfortable. I love that AIRKNITx contains 17% elastane, which is relatively high for men’s underwear (20-22% Spandex is as high as you’ll get, and most men’s underwear is in the 5-8% range). AIRKNITx is best for workouts and high-sweat activities, yet I love wearing them all of the time!
- AIRKNITx HD: Mack Weldon also features the HD version of AIRKNITX, which is 86% polyamide and 14% elastane. Polyamide is supposedly a better version of polyester, hence the “HD” part. I own one pair of AIRKNITx HD, and I personally don’t feel any difference between the two versions fabric-wise. But one thing I like about AIRKNITx HD is that some patterns include a different color for stitching, which I love.
- Silver Collection: Made from 84% Supima Cotton, 10% Ionic+ (silver-infused) polyester, and 6% Lycra (Spandex). Silver has antimicrobial properties, so it helps control odor and general freshness. Thus, Mack Weldon’s Silver collection is best for very high-sweat situations, hikes, and long trips when you wear the same underwear for extended periods. I have Silver trunks, which I also comment on at the end of this guide.
- Silver HD: 66% Micro Modal, 21% Nylon, 7% Ionic+ Nylon, 6% Spandex. I own the Mack Weldon Silver trunks from the regular cotton-based Silver Collection, and as I prefer modal to cotton, I recommend splurging for the Silver HD collection.
- Mack Weldon now includes an option on its Stratus shorts line-up to include built-in Silver briefs. If you haven’t worn shorts with a built-in underwear liner, check out my guide to Shorts with Built-in Underwear.
- Stealth Collection: A combination of 37% Q-NOVA Recycled Nylon, 25% Q-NOVA non-recycled Nylon, 28% polyester, and 10% Spandex, Mack Weldon’s Stealth Collection is geared toward water activities as it is both seawater and chlorine-safe. Yet, of course, guys may wear Stealth boxer briefs outside of the water too – read my full review of Stealth boxer briefs here. As the newest collection, Stealth has the fewest length and color options.
- 24/7 Woven: 24/7 Woven only applies to men’s boxer shorts and uses a fabric blend of 81% cotton, 17% Coolmax Polyester, and 2% Spandex. Mack Weldon designed these boxers to be thin for cooling and so they don’t bulk up under pants.
I also want to point out that all Mack Weldon underwear has a “cool zone,” according to Mack Weldon, above the butt. In practice, I didn’t find any difference in terms of sweating. Nonetheless, it is visible on most pairs, and this area has slightly different fabric variations. However, it is always very similar to the fabric of the rest of the underwear.
Colors and Patterns of Mack Weldon Underwear
I love Mack Weldon because they provide many colors and patterns, thus no need to buy boring underwear. Unlike other companies, none of Mack Weldon’s patterns are comical or too bold but rather sport a timeless design.
- 18-Hour Jersey Collection: You’ll find a great selection of colors and patterns here because it is Mack Weldon’s original collection and the “everyday” product. For example, the 18-Hour Jersey boxer briefs sport six patterns and 12 colors – what a selection!
- AIRKNITx: AIRKNITx features the largest selection of colors and patterns than any other Mack Weldon collection. I prefer the AIRKNITx color and pattern selection over any other Mack Weldon collection because of offset color stitching and bolder color patterns. Compare AIRKNITx’s designs to the patterns of the 18-Hour Jersey Collection, which are mainly small icons or stripes.
- Silver Collection: While the Silver Collection features a few different colors and patterns, I find them primarily subdued – dare I say boring – compared to the other collections. Interestingly, I find the Silver HD sub-collection to have a better selection of colors.
- Stealth Collection: Only six colors make up the Stealth Collection; however, none are solid colors. All Stealth Collection boxer briefs have a unique “stealth” pattern printed on them, as an homage to the Stealth Bomber that was the name’s genesis. I find the design pretty cool!
As noted above, Mack Weldon produces a very “mainstream” assortment of men’s underwear, so there won’t be any radical designs. Yet only boxer briefs – with very standard 5” or 6” inseams – form a part of all four men’s underwear collections. Depending on the collection, briefs, trunks, long-leg boxer briefs, and boxer shorts are all case-by-case.
- 18-Hour Jersey Collection: Briefs, 3” trunks, 6” boxer briefs, and boxer shorts. A very standard underwear collection.
- AIRKNITx: Briefs, 3” trunks, 5” boxer briefs, and 8” long-leg boxer briefs.
- Silver Collection: 3.75” trunks and 6” boxer briefs
- Stealth Collection: 6” boxer briefs and 8” long-leg boxer briefs
- 24/7 Woven boxers: 4″ boxer shorts
Prices of Mack Weldon Underwear
Mack Weldon is a premium brand and charges premium prices. Their closest competitors are Tommy John, Tani USA, Saxx Underwear in terms of style, quality, and pricing. I recommend AIRKNITx and the Stealth collection, as these two collections provide the biggest bang for your buck at Mack Weldon. Prices below are as of August 2023 and may have changed.
- 18-Hour Jersey Collection: $24 – $32 per pair
- AIRKNITx: $28 – $36 per pair
- Silver Collection: $34 – $42 per pair
- Stealth Collection: $38 – $42 per pair
- 24/7 Woven Boxers: $32 per pair
NEW: Mack Weldon now offers an underwear subscription program. By subscribing, you’ll get 10% off with every shipment. You can choose a shipment every one, two, three, or four months, so you aren’t stuck getting new underwear more often than you’d like. Additionally, you can start and stop at any time, and you can also choose your styles, colors, and patterns.
If you are a Mack Weldon loyalist, you’ll definitely want to check out their new subscription program. And if the concept of an underwear subscription is new to you, check out my full Guide to Underwear Subscriptions.
Mack Weldon has sales sometimes, although not as often as other companies. If you like Mack Weldon and want to stock up, then you can save money by buying in bulk through their Pack Builder. You can usually save between 8-14% by buying three, six, or nine pairs at one time.
Also, if you are in the US military, a First Responder, a teacher, a student or a nurse/doctor/medical staff, you may be eligible for 15% off your order with Mack Weldon!
Besides no-fly and the standard vertical fly, Mack Weldon offers a two-way or dual-sided vertical fly on its Silver HD collection. I find that cool because until I saw this, I never thought about how men’s underwear designers force left-handed guys to conform to the right-handed majority regarding underwear flys.
- 18-Hour Jersey Collection: Standard vertical fly, except for boxer shorts containing a button fly.
- AIRKNITx: No fly
- Silver Collection: Standard vertical fly, except for the Silver HD sub-collection, which features the dual-sided or two-way vertical fly.
- Stealth Collection: No fly
- 24/7 Woven Boxers: Vertical button fly (so there aren’t any slips)
Mack Weldon offers a standard non-separated pouch on all underwear (except boxer shorts). It works for me! Mack Weldon notes that its Stealth collection includes the “Flyless MotionCNTRL Pouch,” yet they don’t give any details about it. Nonetheless, if you are looking for a separated pouch, you’ll need to look elsewhere (Saxx, Separatec, or Shinesty) or read my guide all about pouches.
Mack Weldon has very conservatively-designed waistbands. Most of its waistbands are gray with a simple blue stripe at the top. The waistband continues the underwear pattern on some of its underwear, camouflaging the waistband entirely. A signature piece of Mack Weldon’s waistbands is the “For Daily Wear” marking on the interior of the waistband. If you wear Mack Weldon’s underwear inside-out – which you can per their website – then the “For Daily Wear” will appear outside.
And speaking of which, why would you wear their underwear inside out? Mack Weldon puts the label on the outside of its underwear, and some guys may find this weird (I did at first!). Mack Weldon’s FAQ states that the printed lettering may become “scratchy.” Thus, it is best to keep the lettering on the outside, away from the skin, for comfort. With the Mack Weldon underwear I have now, a couple of pairs have lettering come off as you use it and will eventually disappear. Yet since the lettering is on the outside and on the back of the leg, it doesn’t affect comfort or style. Either way, I prefer tagless underwear, so I understand why Mack Weldon designed it this way.
Mack Weldon offers a three-pack of AIRKNITx and 18-Hour Jersey underwear on its pages. Do not go for these. Go to “Shop in the top menu bar, and under “Underwear,” click “Pack Builder.” Not only can you select three, six, and nine-packs, but you’ll be able to customize colors! This is a big benefit since the “standard three-packs” only come with a preset range of colors. Furthermore, by going with six and nine-packs, you can save up to $40-$50 depending on the style you choose.
Mack Weldon designs its underwear at its headquarters in New York City. According to its website, Mack Weldon manufactures its underwear outside of the United States, including factories in Thailand, Peru, China, Egypt, and Vietnam. Furthermore, Mack Weldon notes its factories are WRAP-certified, “an independent, objective, non-profit team of global social compliance experts dedicated to promoting safe, lawful, humane, and ethical manufacturing around the world through certification and education.”
Where to Buy Mack Weldon?
Mack Weldon is primarily only available online through its website, mackweldon.com. Unlike other men’s underwear brands, Mack Weldon is not available through Amazon or other retailers except Nordstrom and Saks Fifth Avenue. Nordstrom and Saks Fifth Avenue contain a few styles online, but it pales compared to buying directly from Mack Weldon.
Mack Weldon has six retail stores in the United States: Austin, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, and two in New York. You can find their locations on their website, where you can buy Mack Weldon in person.
Are Mack Weldon Underwear Worth It?
Yes, I love my Mack Weldon underwear. It is high-quality underwear for various uses and situations. Nonetheless, as Mack Weldon is quite expensive compared to other brands, I recommend the following to maximize your money:
- For almost all situations, you can’t go wrong with AIRKNITx. Mack Weldon provides a plethora of colors and patterns with its AIRKNITx lineup, perhaps some of the boldest across the entire Mack Weldon underwear lineup. AIRKNITx offers all styles (except boxer shorts), including briefs and 8” long-leg boxer briefs. And since the price of AIRKNITx is just a tad higher than the cheaper 18-hour Jersey lineup and far more affordable than the Silver and Stealth collections, I believe AIRKNITx is the best buy from Mack Weldon.
- Go with the Stealth lineup if you wear underwear under boardshorts at the beach or swimming. Stealth is pretty pricey; however, they are seawater and chlorine-safe. Check my blog post regarding wearing underwear under boardshorts for more options and how to choose.
- For lovers of boxer shorts, your only options are the 18-hour Jersey or 24/7 Woven boxer shorts. I have not worn either kind personally, so I can’t comment on their real-world use, although each version is $32 (as of August 2023).
- Finally, if this is your first time purchasing Mack Weldon underwear, Mack Weldon offers a refund or exchange on one pair, which is common amongst prominent men’s underwear brands.
Mack Weldon is an excellent choice if you want a high-quality brand to add to your underwear collection. You’ll also want to compare Mack Weldon to Saxx Underwear and Tommy John at this price range. I’d love to hear your feedback on Mack Weldon underwear in the comments below!
Mack Weldon Underwear Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some frequently asked questions about Mack Weldon Underwear:
Where is Mack Weldon from?
Mack Weldon is an American company based in New York City, but it ships orders to both the United States and Canada. Mack Weldon has eight store locations in the U.S.: Austin, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, three in New York City, and Myrtle Beach.
What is Mack Weldon known for?
Mack Weldon is known for high-quality, modern menswear, including its men’s underwear. Mack Weldon underwear is very popular, and recently, Mack Weldon has expanded its offering of men’s clothing, including shirts, shorts, and pants.
What underwear is like Mack Weldon?
What is AIRKNITx?
AIRKNITx is a type of men’s underwear produced by Mack Weldon. Made from a polyamide/polyester/elastane microfiber fabric blend, AIRKNITx works well as both everyday underwear and underwear for high-sweat situations, such as working out or hiking. I believe AIRKNITx is the best value of Mack Weldon’s underwear collection.
Does Mack Weldon offer a military discount?
Yes! Mack Weldon offers a 15% discount to U.S. military members through Mack Weldon’s Community Heroes program.
Does Mack Weldon offer a first time discount?
U.S. military members, nurses, doctors, first responders, students, and teachers get 15% off their Mack Weldon order through the Community Heroes program. Otherwise, there isn’t an explicit first-time discount, but there are other ways to save money at Mack Weldon. For example, by taking advantage of Mack Weldon’s Pack Builder program, you can save 8-14% off three, six, and nine-packs of underwear. You can also sign up for Mack Weldon’s subscription service to save 10% off each subscription order.
Does Mack Weldon offer a healthcare discount?
Yes! Nurses, doctors, and first responders get 15% off their first Mack Weldon order through the Community Heroes program
My Latest Blog Posts
- AIRKNITx Review: Mack Weldon’s Best Value Underwear
- Underwear with Pockets: The Ultimate Utility Underwear?
- Underwear Discounts: How to Buy Quality Underwear for Less
- Bn3th Classic Boxer Briefs: MyPackage Pouch Underwear Review
- 5 Men’s Underwear To Avoid – Don’t Make These Mistakes!
- Jockey Microfiber Boxer Briefs: Are They a Good Buy?