Written By: Eric @ MensUnderwearGuide.com, Founder and Head Writer of MensUnderwearGuide.com
Disclaimer: Product links contain affiliate marketing links where I get a small commission when you purchase from that site. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my Affiliate Marketing Policy here. Also, please verify all product and pricing information directly with the linked brands. MensUnderwearGuide.com is not responsible for errors or product discrepancies.
Author’s Note: I purchased with my own money the Mack Weldon, Separatec, Jockey, and Intimissimi underwear I review in this post. David Archy sent me the bamboo *boxer* briefs for free for review. Other than that and affiliate marketing, I did not receive any other compensation.
Table of Contents
- Why Wear Briefs?
- What do the best briefs include?
- Examples of the best briefs for men
- Mack Weldon AIRKNITx Hip Briefs – My pick for colors and designs, plus amazing for high-sweat situations.
- Separatec and David Archy Bamboo or Modal Hip Briefs – My absolute favorite briefs for every day and lounging at home.
- Summary of the Best Briefs for Men
Since abandoning briefs in high school due to peer pressure – boxer shorts ruled the early 2000s – I hadn’t worn briefs until 2020 when I purchased my first pair of adult briefs: my Mack Weldon AIRKNITx briefs. Although it initially felt weird to wear briefs as an adult, I slowly got used to them and have since added them to my collection of briefs. My two notable additions are Separatec bamboo briefs and Tani Silk Cut hip briefs.
In 2022, briefs are coming back into the world of men’s underwear after being shunned for decades in favor of boxer shorts and then boxer briefs. More and more “cool” brands embrace briefs as part of their lineup – including American Eagle! Like me, guys are talking more about wearing briefs and their love for shorter underwear styles (trunks – my favorite! – are also becoming the new boxer briefs for Americans).
In this post, I’ll briefly discuss why guys should try out briefs if they aren’t wearing briefs. I’ll then detail some of the best briefs for men on the market to ensure your next experience wearing briefs is fantastic.
Why wear briefs?
Last year, I wrote an article asking whether briefs are superior to boxer briefs (including photo evidence of Charlie Puth embracing briefs). It was a response to me wearing briefs for the first time since I was a kid, as I learned why briefs could be better than boxer briefs. I still wear boxer briefs and trunks, but briefs carved out a section of my underwear collection for several good reasons.
No underwear riding up on the legs
No riding up is so self-evident that you might not realize it. Briefs have no legs, so there is no material to ride up your legs, which is common with boxer briefs, and to a lesser extent, with trunks. Riding up isn’t an issue with the right pair of boxer briefs – high-quality boxer briefs that you wash and dry correctly. Yet if you want to eliminate the chance of riding up entirely, briefs will solve the “riding up” problem.
Raw sex appeal
A guy wearing plain black briefs is incredibly sexy to me (although black trunks are my absolute favorite). Briefs show off a lot more skin than boxer briefs, so briefs may appear sexier to you and your partner. Yet when I first started wearing briefs, I was embarrassed to walk around the house – even in front of my husband – because I was showing off too much skin. I soon overcame that stigma, and now I love walking around in briefs.
Some guys may fear the “tighty-whitey” look, which for many guys, is the opposite of sex appeal (although some guys find tighty-whiteys hot, no shame in that!). I did not want to wear briefs as an adult that I wore as a kid, so I picked out modern styles. Modern style includes wearing Hip Cut briefs (not full-cut briefs), choosing darker colors, and selecting low-rise models that sit below your waist. You can look sexy in briefs regardless of what styles you and your partner prefer!
- NOTE: According to customers' suggestion, we lengthened the sewn in the front pouch of the briefs. So you may receive different style. Please don't worry, both of them are good. The mens modal briefs are so soft and stretchy that you may forget you're wearing them.
- Ultra Soft Modal Microfiber Briefs for Men: Better Soft, comfortable and stretch than cotton with silky touch.
- Covered Elastic Comfort Waistband: Men's underwear with soft fabric covered waistband which is smooth against the skin. Added stretch for comfortable daily movement
- No-Fly Pouch: Double-layer contour pouch for extra support. Breathable full seat bikini briefs multipack create a flattering and smooth shape
Blog post continues after these brief announcements…
Subscribe to my monthly underwear newsletter: MensUnderwearGuide.com/Subscribe
Watch my most popular YouTube shorts!
What are visible boxer brief lines?
If you wear tight pants – especially thinner tight pants – and boxer briefs, chances are you will have boxer brief lines. These lines occur on the back of your thigh, where the leg bands are on your boxer briefs. When you have a thick leg band on your boxer briefs and thin pants covering it, the leg band will make an indentation on your pants.
Boxer brief lines are especially notable with tight pants, as the pants cling to your leg and your underwear. Boxer brief lines also show themselves on your rear thigh as you walk, as at that moment, your pants are tight against the rear of your thigh. Guys may also experience this when wearing light-colored shorts with dark or black boxer briefs. The color difference may lend to the outline of your boxer briefs showing through your shorts.
As a gay guy, I find boxer brief lines so hot! Yet many guys don’t want the outlines of their underwear showing through their pants. Briefs largely eliminate this problem because briefs don’t have leg bands, so there is nothing to show through your pants. However, that doesn’t mean visible brief lines aren’t an issue.
Brief lines occur under the same conditions as boxer brief lines: either wearing tight pants or shorts or pairing light-colored pants with dark briefs. However, men’s brief lines are less common than women’s visible panty lines. One reason is that most men’s briefs cover the full butt cheek, so the seam sits underneath the butt rather than on top of it with women’s panties. Another reason is that men’s shorts have pockets covering the butt, which hides a lot of would-be-visible lines.
Thus, wearing briefs will eliminate boxer brief lines. And as long as you aren’t wearing super tight pants or white pants with black briefs, you’ll also be able to avoid most brief lines.
- Style 8035
- Low rise and moderate coverage
- No-fly design
- 92% nylon/8% spandex
- Machine wash and dry
Increased air circulation and cooling
As your legs and thighs are fully exposed when wearing briefs, your legs will be able to cool off naturally. Especially when wearing lighter shorts, I can feel the breeze on my legs much more with briefs than with boxer briefs – and I wear breathable boxer briefs! I love this airy feeling on my thighs and another plus to briefs.
What do the best briefs for men include?
There are millions of pairs of men’s briefs out there. But what sets the best briefs for men apart from the rest of the pack?
- Fabric: If you are exercising or outdoors a lot, you’ll want to get a moisture-wicking synthetic material, such as polyester, nylon, or polyamide. Note that to ensure the greatest comfort, you’ll want at least 10% elastane or Spandex content, but 15-20% elastane or Spandex content is what the best briefs contain. Otherwise, stick with bamboo or modal briefs for the office, hanging out at home, and general everyday wear. They are far softer than cotton and more environmentally friendly. With modal and bamboo briefs, as little as 5% elastane or Spandex content works because of how soft bamboo and modal materials are. You can read all of my modal and bamboo underwear reviews here.
- Colors and patterns: Many guys shun the word “tighty-whiteys.” As a Millennial, hearing that word brings me back to school (although some guys love tighty-whiteys, which is perfectly fine!). Yet, the best briefs come in various colors and patterns to satisfy any guy’s fashion tastes. Choose the colors and patterns you love, although if you aren’t sure, dark colors such as dark blue, dark gray, and black will provide a modern sophistication to your briefs.
OMG! I love these patterns from Jockey!
Style: Hip Briefs vs. Briefs vs. Bikini/Tanga Briefs
To most guys, briefs are briefs. That isn’t true, though! Today, there is a wide variety of designs for men’s briefs. The three most common styles are full-cut briefs, hip-cut briefs, and bikini/tanga briefs. The differences are primarily in how much the briefs cover your hip’s front and side parts.
Hip briefs are the trendiest style right now and the most “modern” looking. As such, most pairs of men’s briefs will be variations of the hip brief design, such as Calvin Klein briefs. For full-cut briefs, you’ll most likely be looking at the big three American companies: Hanes, Jockey, and Fruit of the Loom. And for bikini or tanga briefs, you’ll go with some specialty companies or Jockey.
Notice almost all of the hips are covered by these Full-cut briefs from Hanes
Hip cut briefs, however, show a lot more of the hips and legs.
Bikini – or tanga – briefs have no hip coverage, leaving only the waistband connecting the front and back of the briefs.
When choosing the best briefs for you, you’ll want to consider other features such as fly design, pricing, and waistband logos. Yet, the fabric, style, color, and patterns available are the best place to start, as they’ll impact your comfort more than other qualities. Also, read my guide on Five Types of Men’s Underwear to Avoid to understand what not to buy.
Below I highlight a few brands that I believe make some of the best briefs for men. Take a moment to review all the options to understand what is available for men’s briefs.
Examples of the Best Briefs for Men
It is no secret that I love Mack Weldon underwear and that my first pair of adult briefs was Mack Weldon AIRKNITx briefs. AIRKNITx briefs are amazing for all situations, especially high-sweat situations, and are the best briefs in Mack Weldon’s collection. I believe that the AIRKNITx underwear collection is the best value of Mack Weldon’s underwear lineup, regardless of style.
- Fabric: AIRKNITx briefs are 50% polyamide, 33% polyester, and 17% elastane, while AIRKNITx HD briefs are 86% polyamide and 14% elastane. The 14-17% elastane content is around the sweet spot of 15-20% elastane content for synthetic briefs. I wear AIRKNITx underwear as everyday underwear, despite being designed for high-sweat activities such as workouts, outdoor activities, and traveling.
- Style: I classify AIRKNITx as hip briefs, although they provide more hip coverage than other hip briefs. This length could be ideal for guys new to briefs who want a modern look with hip briefs yet appreciate more coverage.
- Colors and Patterns: If you love variety and spice in your underwear, Mack Weldon has seven colors to choose from for its AIRKNITx briefs. I am disappointed that Mack Weldon stopped producing its patterned AIRKNITx briefs. The AIRKNITx briefs I own are blue with red stitching that I love. Nonetheless, still a great selection of colors that you won’t find elsewhere to keep your underwear fun yet sophisticated!
- Fly: AIRKNITx briefs have no fly and no option for a fly.
- Price: AIRKNITx briefs are on the higher end of men’s underwear, so not a surprise each pair costs $28 (as of August 2023). However, buying at least three pairs through Mack Weldon’s Pack Builder can get a multipack discount. Or if you are a US military member, doctor, nurse, or teacher, you may qualify for 15% off of your first Mack Weldon purchase!
I own three Separatec Dual-Pouch Bamboo briefs, which are lovely to wear daily, especially on the weekend around the house. The bamboo material is soft against my skin, and I love the hip-brief style for some sex appeal. And while I admit that Separatec’s Dual Pouch design may not be for everyone – if the tip of your penis is sensitive, the fabric sometimes rubs against it – I find it a cool ball pouch.
Separatec’s sister brand David Archy also sells bamboo and modal briefs. The main difference between the two brands is that all Separatec underwear has the Dual Pouch, while only some of David Archy’s underwear uses the Dual Pouch (the rest use a regular non-separated pouch, such as my David Archy bamboo boxer briefs). The second difference is that Separatec’s designs are more modern and outgoing, while David Archy’s are more conservative. Yet both brands offer some of the best briefs for men, and I love their underwear.
- Fabric: 95% bamboo (or 95% modal), 5% elastane. 5% is the minimum I would choose for bamboo or modal-based pairs of underwear. So while the elastane content could be a tad higher – 7-10% is high-end for bamboo and modal-based underwear – I still find these bamboo briefs very comfortable.
- Style: These are hip briefs. When I first got them, they were a tad short for me. Yet, I quickly got used to them and now have no problems walking around the house in my Separatec briefs. Yet, if you want something closer to a full-cut brief, you’ll want to check out Separatec’s sister brand, David Archy. On the other end, if you prefer the shorter bikini brief cut, then see my review of Jockey’s bikini brief below!
- Colors and Patterns: Separatec has less color selection than Mack Weldon but still features a few darker colors for modern sophistication. If you are looking for bold colors, you’ll want to go with Mack Weldon.
- Fly: As Separatec has the Dual Pouch design, the “fly” is at the tip of your penis. Think of it as a hood or flap you pull back rather than a traditional fly design. Again, not for everyone, and if you don’t like using flys, you can always go over your waistband. Remember, though, that some David Archy briefs have the Dual Pouch, and others do not! Pay attention to the title and description to know what kind of pouch you are getting.
- Price: My favorite part of Separatec’s briefs is the price. You can often get three-packs in the +/- $30 range, making each pair around $10. Use my coupon ETR10 for 10% off at Separatec! This is an amazing price for what you are getting. You can get Free Shipping on David Archy by using my coupon code hello200 or save 15% when spending $65 or more with code DAJAO15.
I recently bought my first bikini or tanga brief. I bought several pairs of underwear from Jockey during a Cyber Monday event, and this tanga brief’s design caught my eye. Plus, I haven’t had any bikinis or tanga briefs in my underwear collection, so I wanted to try them out.
I am so glad I did! Although less popular than hip briefs, bikini briefs or tangas (same design, different names) are jockstraps with butt coverage, haha. Or they are briefs without any hip coverage. Either way, I am so glad I purchased it because I love wearing them. I recently spent a week in an Ecuador beach town and I was so much cooler wearing these tangas than regular briefs. Plus, one reason I don’t like a jockstrap is because of the butt straps. But with a tanga, since there is butt coverage, no butt straps are necessary!
- Fabric: 92% nylon, 8% Spandex. I generally prefer 10% Spandex or more when buying synthetic underwear (nylon, polyester, or polyamide). However, because there is so little fabric compared to synthetic boxer briefs, I was very comfortable wearing them.
- Style: Bikini/tanga briefs, no doubt about it.
- Colors and patterns: The patterns sold me when I first bought these tanga briefs. There are so many cool designs to choose from that I am excited to buy another pair in the future.
- Fly: No Fly.
- Price: In the $15-$20 range. I think it is a little pricey, and to be fair, I bought mine while they were on sale for $10. However, I really do like them! So either buy it at full price as a great pair of underwear, or wait until a sale. Also, if you are looking at Amazon, make sure to click through all the patterns in case one is on sale.
While I have written a review of Intimissimi’s Stretch Cotton “Boxers” (they are square-cut trunks) – which are ok – I haven’t sung the praises of the other pair I own from Intimissimi: their microfiber trunks.
I love the look of Intimissimi’s trunks – which are a tad bigger than square-cut trunks – and their microfiber material feels amazing. Fortunately, for guys who love briefs, Intimissimi also makes microfiber briefs! You don’t have to settle for boring, 100% cotton briefs when you can get Italian-designed microfiber briefs – ideal for high-sweat activities – for a great price.
Microfiber briefs – the same as Mack Weldon above – are excellent for high-sweat situations, such as outdoor activities, gym sessions, and traveling. My Intimissimi microfiber trunks provide great support and keep things dry while also being very comfortable!
- Fabric: 90% polyamide and 10% elastane. 10% elastane is the beginning of the sweet zone for synthetic-based underwear. For the price, 10% elastane is quite good!
- Style: European underwear is always shorter than American underwear. Thus, no surprise that these Intimissimi briefs are hip-cut.
- Colors and Patterns: Intimissimi has a lot of colors and designs for its underwear. Yet that doesn’t extend to their microfiber briefs. You’ll have an option of the four standard colors – white, black, dark gray, and dark blue – which is still great for any man’s underwear drawer.
- Fly: No-fly briefs.
- Price: Usually, these briefs are in the $15-$20 per pair range. However, Intimissimi offers quite a few sales throughout the year, in which you can get these briefs closer to the $10-12/pair range. Intimissimi often sells five pairs for $60 year-round, bringing the price to $12/pair, which is excellent. Finally, Intimissimi has a few stores in the United States – and plenty in Europe – if you want to look and buy in person.
Blog post continues after these brief announcements…
Subscribe to my monthly underwear newsletter: MensUnderwearGuide.com/Subscribe
Watch my most popular YouTube shorts!
Tani is not well known, and certainly not as well known as its competitors in the high-end space of men’s underwear, such as Tommy John, Mack Weldon, and Saxx. Nor does Tani have as wide of a selection as these other brands. Yet Tani’s underwear is quite luxurious and I love them.
I have a pair of Tani’s Silk Cut Hip Briefs and they are so comfortable. They are made from my one of my favorite materials, modal, and they include 6% Spandex content, which is good. These briefs are so soft and so comfortable while wearing them, I can tell the difference between Tani’s modal briefs and other modal underwear I have.
Note that Tani’s Silk Cut Hip Briefs are low-rise, and I mean low-rise. This is fantastic for guys who don’t want to show off their underwear above their pants, or for guys who wear low-rise jeans and need corresponding underwear. But if you aren’t used to low-rise underwear, note that these briefs will sit below your waist and you may feel a bit exposed before getting used to them.
- Fabric: 94% MicroModal AIR, 6% Spandex. MicroModal AIR is an even softer version of modal, which is why these briefs are so luxurious.
- Style: These are low-rise hip briefs, so they are going to be quite revealing. But I really like the modern look as they are completely the opposite of yesterday’s tighty-whiteys.
- Colors and Patterns: Tani doesn’t have much selection here, sticking only to neutral colors such as white, gray, blue, and black. Simple but elegant.
- Fly: No fly here.
- Price: These briefs aren’t cheap at $40/pair, even more expensive than Mack Weldon’s AIRKNITx briefs. Yet they are on par with Mack Weldon’s Silver collection and some of Tommy John’s higher-end products. I’d prefer if you could get them in the low $30s, which is possible by checking Tani’s sales page regularly.
- SUPER BREATHABLE MATERIAL - Tani hip mens bikini underwear are designed with a special fabric that weaves microfibers into a strong yet astonishingly soft fabric underwear men. Fabric that will absorb and disperse more moisture than cotton. So, hit the gym, and run a race, knowing your men's bikini underwear are comfortable. These soft and silky man underwear are the most comfortable men underwear brief.
- WEAR TO EVERYWHERE - Tani mens briefs underwear pack take your favorite everyday mens low rise briefs to the next level. Anti chafing mens underwear trunks with no-ride-up legs and strategically placed breathable mesh. Men’s silkcut high-quality stretch hip briefs with elastic closure men brief underwear moisture wicking mens bikini underwear keep you refreshed all day so you can stay cool and dry.
- SMOOTH & FLEXIBLE - Tani bikini briefs men underwear have become a leader in sports protection and performance around the globe. Men's string bikini underwear and male underwear give you good support for athletic underwear men and reduce chaffing on your training, gym, running, exercise, boxing, volleyball, surfing, our trunk underwear men continual innovation is performance-driven.
- HOW TO WASH - These mens low rise underwear is perfect for any lifestyle wash hip mens brief with hand wash, or machine wash. Best mens underwear retains shape and softness even after repeated washing - wash moisture wicking mens bikini underwear sexy only with non-chlorine bleach when needed. You can dry these mens underwear bikini on tumble dry low but to keep men's briefs lasting long - we recommend hang drying - do not iron.
- PERFECT GIFT FOR MEN: If you are looking to buy men clothes for someone as a men gifts then our bikini for men, in our opinion, is one of the best options. The ideal mens underwear bikini briefs are perfect mens gifts for any occasion. Mens hip briefs showing your love to your lovers with our men shirts for father's day, brother's day, valentine's day, thanksgiving, christmas, and birthday day.
Final Thoughts on the Best Briefs for Men
Briefs are back! In 2022, briefs are a great addition to any guy’s underwear drawer. Hip or bikini briefs are even excellent for date night! If you follow my Three Simple Steps to Buying Men’s Underwear, you’ll note that I recommend getting briefs for office work and hanging out at home.
Let me know your thoughts on the best briefs for men in the comments below!
My Latest Blog Posts
- Mack Weldon AIRKNITx: Mack Weldon’s Best Value Underwear?
- Underwear with Pockets: The Ultimate Utility Underwear?
- Underwear Discounts: How to Buy Quality Underwear for Less
- Bn3th Classic Boxer Briefs: MyPackage Pouch Underwear Review
- 5 Men’s Underwear To Avoid – Don’t Make These Mistakes!
- Jockey Microfiber Boxer Briefs: Are They a Good Buy?
Last update on 2023-09-23 at 21:40 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API