Estimated Reading Time: 8 Minutes
Marketing Disclaimer: I am passionate about men’s underwear. However, my bank wouldn’t accept my offer of free underwear advice to pay my mortgage. Thus, any links to products and brands in this blog post and elsewhere on MensUnderwearGuide.com may contain affiliate marketing links in which I get paid a small commission when you purchase from that site. This includes as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. You can read more about my Affiliate Marketing Policy here.
Information Disclaimer: You must verify all product and pricing information directly with the third-party affiliate site. MensUnderwearGuide.com is not responsible for errors or product discrepancies – this is to be used only as a guide!
Folding men’s underwear is quite easy and doesn’t take much time. Even though I don’t fold my underwear – I separate it into piles instead – lots of guys do, including my husband! Having said that, I find folding underwear important for trip planning and packing. I even pack my boxer briefs and socks together so I can easily find them when I open up my suitcase.
Why Fold Men’s Underwear?
There are three reasons why folding men’s underwear is beneficial. Folded men’s underwear looks organized and neat, which makes you and your partner feel good. It saves a lot of space by removing air pockets. Finally, organized and folded underwear makes it easy to find which pair you want to wear today.
- Neat and Tidy Wardrobe: Many guys – and/or their partners! – like to have an orderly wardrobe. Folding guys’ underwear makes a neat underwear drawer that is pleasing to look at it. It also makes it quite easy to find different pairs to wear, such as colors and styles. If you have a pile like me, you have to dig through everything to find the pair you are looking for.
- Space-saving: Folded underwear takes up less space than just throwing it into a pile because folding removes most air pockets. Air pockets are empty space yet they take up room in your underwear drawer. Folding into a tight package removes these empty space wasters.
- Organization: It is easy to organize folded underwear so you can easily find which pair you want to wear. I recommend organizing by style (boxer briefs, trunks, briefs) or by material (bamboo/modal vs polyester/nylon). A lot of guys organize by color, which while important, color is easily identifiable. Style and material are not easily identifiable just by glancing at your underwear drawer, so if you have already sorted your underwear by style and material, you can quickly select which color you want from that section.
Having said this, I don’t fold my own underwear. I am lazy and also I feel my time can be better spent. Instead, I have wardrobe sorters that I use to sort by material and style so I can quickly find a pair. You can quickly do this too, here are some good wardrobe sorters.
If you are interested in knowing how to fold men’s underwear, I demonstrate five ways below. Also, watch my YouTube video for a video demonstration! Sit back and enjoy!
How to Fold Men’s Underwear: Square Method
I find the square method of folding men’s underwear the easiest folding method. It is also the most common way. Folding men’s underwear this way will result in nice-looking and condensed square packages perfect for stacking or packing in a suitcase.
- Step 1: Start by laying your underwear flat on a table, face up.
- Step 2: Visualizing your underwear in thirds, fold the left third onto the fly/pouch.
- Step 3: Do the same with the right third, folding it onto the fly/pouch.
- Step 4: Now take the bottom of the underwear – the legs – and fold one-third up the length of the underwear.
- Step 5: Finally, fold the top of the underwear – the waistband – down to complete the square.
Square Method with a Twist: Tuck Method
The Tuck Method is a modified version of the Square Method above. The only difference is at the end, you tuck the legs into the waistband, instead of folding the waistband on top of the legs. The idea behind the Tuck Method is that the waistband is securing the underwear package by keeping the legs tightly inside the waistband itself.
- Step 1: Lay out your underwear flat on a table, face up.
- Step 2: Fold the left and right sides onto the fly/pouch.
- Step 3: Unlike the Square Method above, step 3 requires you to fold the underwear top – the waistband – one-third of the way down, instead of folding the bottom up.
- Step 4: Fold the bottom – the legs – up to the waistband. Instead of just folding it on top of the waistband, you are going to tuck the legs into the waistband opening itself.
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel: youtube.com/c/MensUnderwearGuide
Subscribe to my Instagram: instagram.com/mensunderwearguide/
How to Fold Men’s Underwear: Alternative Square Method
I created the Alternative Square Method for guys who prefer to think in horizontal terms rather than vertical terms. While the Square Method is the easiest method of how to fold men’s underwear, in my opinion, I prefer the Alternative Square Method as I believe it produces a more compact square.
- Step 1: Lay out your underwear flat, with the fly/pouch facing you.
- Step 2: Eyeball the halfway height of the fly/pouch. Make a mental note because you’ll need this for step 3 below.
- Step 3: Fold each leg up to the halfway point of the fly/pouch.
- Step 4: Fold the left side onto the fly/pouch.
- Step 5: Fold the right side onto the fly/pouch.
- Step 6 (optional): Lift up the underwear with your fingers where the seam of the legs is. Then fold the underwear in half onto itself. Now you have a square.
How to Fold Men’s Underwear: Boxers + Socks Method
I love my Boxers + Socks method for packing on trips. It makes it so easy to keep your underwear and socks together while saving space. Plus you’ll never lose your socks! Please note though that this method works best with no-show or ankle-height socks.
- Step 1: Place your underwear flat on a table, face up.
- Step 2: Take your pair of socks and set them directly on top of the fly/pouch. Make sure the socks lie flat on top of each other.
- Step 3: Fold the left and right sides on top of the socks.
- Step 4: Now fold in half vertically and you are ready to pack!
How to Fold Men’s Underwear: Army or Ranger Roll
The Army or Ranger Roll – so-called because the US Army teaches this method for how to fold men’s underwear – is popular because it is super space-saving. However, I find this method the hardest method by far; in fact, I am not good at this method at all. See below for my step-by-step tutorial and watch this 38-second video on the Army Roll from YouTuber One Minute How To.
- Step 1: Lay out your underwear and flatten it out as much as possible.
- Step 2: Fold the waistband down, at least an inch or two. Tip: The less tight you can roll your underwear, the most you need to fold down the waistband.
- Step 3: Fold the left and right sides towards the middle and onto the fly/pouch.
- Step 4: Don’t fold! Instead, start at the bottom of the underwear – the legs – and fold up to the waistband. Roll as tightly as you can; the tighter you roll now, the easier Step 7 will be.
- Step 5: Continue to roll until you get to the edge of the waistband and stop. As you roll, pause every so often and stretch out the leg to avoid fabric bunching. Keeping the fabric taut will ensure a tight roll.
- Step 6: Once you reach the waistband with your roll, it is time to tuck and fold. Lift up the underwear with your thumbs holding the roll tight and your index fingers tucked into the waistband from the back (the part of the waistband facing down towards the table).
- Step 7: With your index fingers, flip the waistband from the back and towards you. Your goal is to tuck the rolled part into the waistband so you have a sausage-like roll at the end.
Final Thoughts on Folding Men’s Underwear
Folding men’s underwear is a fantastic way to keep your underwear drawer organized, tidy, and compact. While there are many ways how to fold men’s underwear, the five ways above are the most popular.
I find the Square Method the easiest, along with the Alternative Square Method. These two methods are easy to learn, easy to execute, and get the job done. On the other end of the spectrum, pro folders will want to fold using the Army or Ranger Roll for the ultimate in space-saving. And for trips, use my Boxers + Socks method to keep your underwear and socks organized and together in your suitcase.
Let me know in the comments if you fold your underwear, and if so, what is your favorite method?
My Latest Blog Posts
- Long Leg Boxer Briefs: What Are They and Reviewing Separatec
- What are the Best Briefs for Men?
- Best Boxer Briefs on Amazon: A Cheat Sheet
- Tani Silk Cut Hip Briefs: Worth the Price Tag? (Review)
- Calvin Klein Modal Boxer Briefs: Iconic and Comfortable (Review)
- Shinesty Boxer Briefs: What I Discovered During My Try-On (Review)