You are here:
Disclaimer: Product links contain affiliate marketing links where I get a small commission when you purchase from that site. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Also, please verify all product and pricing information directly with the linked brands. I am not responsible for errors or product discrepancies.
Author’s Note: Mack Weldon gave me these two Stealth boxer briefs for review for free. However, I was not compensated in any other way (other than affiliate marketing if you buy), and my opinions are my own.
Table of Contents
- First Glance at Stealth Boxer Briefs
- The Try On
- Can you wear wet Stealth boxer briefs?
- My Overall Thoughts and Recommendations
- The Details of Stealth Boxer Briefs
- Frequently Asked Questions
I am a massive fan of Mack Weldon underwear – I wrote an entire Ultimate Guide to Mack Weldon! I had owned three of four of Mack Weldon’s fabric collections: AIRKNITx, 18-Hour Jersey, and Silver. However, I haven’t had any Stealth boxer briefs…until now!
The Stealth collection differs from other Mack Weldon collections because it’s designed to get wet. So much men’s underwear is about keeping you dry – “moisture-wicking” underwear is trendy. But quite the opposite, guys will want to wear Stealth underwear at the beach or pool, generally under boardshorts or unlined swim trunks, as Stealth boxer briefs are “seawater and chlorine-safe,” according to Mack Weldon. That is the purpose of Stealth underwear.
Mack Weldon was kind enough to send me two pairs of Stealth 6″ boxer briefs to review, so let’s get to the review!
First Glance at Mack Weldon Stealth Boxer Briefs
I got the Asphalt (dark gray) and True Blue (navy blue) boxer briefs. I am into dark colors – and blue is my favorite color! – so this combination was perfect for me. Mack Weldon’s underwear always has a timeless elegance, and these Stealth boxer briefs feel very sophisticated. No wild and crazy patterns here!
Stealth underwear does have a striped and dotted pattern on each leg. While Mack Weldon doesn’t state this explicitly, the pattern represents the wings of a Stealth aircraft, which was the genesis of the Stealth name. I appreciate the design; it creates a bit of fun without going into wild and crazy patterns. Many other brands offer off-the-wall patterns, such as Shinesty, for guys who want that fun at the beach.
On the first touch, the Stealth fabric felt thicker and less silky than I expected. Stealth underwear only contains 10% Spandex compared to 14%-17% Spandex with Mack Weldon AIRKNITx underwear, my favorite Mack Weldon collection. My rule is that synthetic underwear must have at least 10% Spandex content – Stealth qualifies! – but 15-20% is best.
Trying On Mack Weldon Stealth Underwear
However, the fabric felt great once I put on my Stealth underwear. It isn’t the thinnest or silkiest underwear I own, yet that is not necessarily a fair comparison. I buy many of my underwear for lounging at home or everyday wear. I value high-stretch, soft, and thin fabrics. Yet Mack Weldon makes Stealth underwear for water-based activities, and delicate fabric would not work well. You’ll especially appreciate the thicker material of these Stealth boxer briefs if you are in colder waters, such as California and the Pacific Northwest.
I liked seeing the underwear on my body. I love dark colors, which look fabulous. One minor note is that the waistband was slightly too big for me. Not that it was loose, per se, but I could put my fingers between my waist and the waistband. My husband’s waist is slightly larger than mine and the medium Stealth boxer briefs fit him perfectly (in fact, he prefers them!).
I asked Mack Weldon about sizing, and they said no one had mentioned size being an issue on Stealth boxer briefs. Since I have a 32″ waist, sometimes 31″, I would probably order a size smaller next time. But the medium works well, too, so it’s very much a 50/50 sort of situation.
I wore Stealth underwear as everyday underwear to test out these Stealth boxer briefs. My regular day includes working from home, walking around the city during the day for lunch and errands, and lounging at night. Stealth underwear was pleasantly comfortable! I still recommend Mack Weldon’s AIRKNITx underwear for everyday wear or any modal/bamboo underwear I love. But if you don’t want to buy underwear for only a specific situation – being in the water – then yes, you can wear Stealth underwear as everyday underwear.
Can you wear wet Stealth boxer briefs?
Yes! I soaked my Stealth boxer briefs in the shower to ensure they were very wet. They were very comfortable while wet! I didn’t feel icky or weird in the shower – it was like wearing swim trunks. Afterward, I wrung out the water from the boxer briefs to reduce weight and wetness. The boxer briefs wrung out well, and after putting them back on – to discover what it is like wearing them after getting out of the ocean or pool – they felt nice. In fact, I thought it was not a bad idea on hot days to shower in Stealth boxer briefs and then wear them around the house. 😂
I sat in them for a while, and they felt pleasant. They also dried quickly, which is important. I could definitely wear these at the beach or the pool. While Mack Weldon doesn’t advertise this, you could wear Stealth boxer briefs on their own. They aren’t different than “swim jammers” from other brands (they may look even better!). The only issue is that the right leg of the back has Mack Weldon’s logo and tag. If someone recognizes that, they may realize you are wearing underwear, especially since it says “boxer brief” on it.
My Overall Thoughts on Stealth Boxer Briefs
I liked the Stealth boxer briefs, especially the design and look. Very sophisticated, and I don’t expect anything less from Mack Weldon. If you want to wear underwear under your boardshorts or unlined swim trunks – or even as swim jammers – Mack Weldon Stealth boxer briefs are a wonderful buy.
You can also wear Stealth boxer briefs as everyday underwear. Nothing wrong with them, and I felt comfortable in them. However, if you purchase Stealth primarily as regular underwear – and not for the water – I recommend going with Mack Weldon’s AIRKNITx collection instead. AIRKNITx is cheaper, softer, and thinner than Stealth, and AIRKNITx is the best value buy of Mack Weldon’s entire men’s underwear collection.
As for wearing it in the water, Stealth performs well based on shower testing. They are thick enough that they won’t expose any private parts while wet. The thickness may also help in colder waters, especially on the West Coast. I was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable Stealth is when wet and that it dries quite quickly. Quick drying is essential when choosing underwear for the beach or the pool.
Overall, if you are looking for underwear for the beach, the pool, surfing, or other water activities, give Stealth a try! And if you want to wear Stealth outside the water, go for it. But if you want Mack Weldon underwear for daily wear and not for the water, get AIRKNITx boxer briefs instead. (Also, read my Complete Guide to Wearing Underwear under Boardshorts.)
Details and Notes of Mack Weldon Stealth Underwear
Below is my summary of Mack Weldon Stealth boxer briefs:
- Length: My review covered Mack Weldon’s 6″ Stealth boxer briefs, but they also make an 8″ version. The 8″ length is better for guys wearing longer swim trunks and boardshorts or if you need to protect more of your leg skin from the sun or a surfboard.
- Note: Make sure you know the length of your swim trunks to prevent your underwear from sticking out of the bottom of your leg. 6″ boxer briefs should be paired with shorts 7″ or longer, while 8″ boxer briefs are best for 9-10″ long shorts. Read my guide to Long-Leg Boxer Briefs here if you are new to longer boxer briefs.
- Price: $38 for the 6″ version and $42 for the 8″ version as of November 2023. However, there are three strategies to lower the cost:
- You can save up to 12% by buying three, six, or nine pairs at a time through Mack Weldon’s Pack Builder. Buying nine pairs will provide you with the best deal.
- Or you can create a Mack Weldon underwear subscription on the Stealth underwear page and save 10% each month on a new pair of underwear automatically delivered to you. Click “Subscribe and Save” instead of “One Time Purchase” to start your subscription. (Also, read my Men’s Underwear Subscriptions guide to learn more.)
- If you are a US military member or a doctor, nurse, First Responder, student, or teacher, you can save 15% on your Mack Weldon order through the Community Heroes program.
- Colors and Patterns: Over the past year, Mack Weldon has increased the number of colors available for its Stealth underwear, which is fantastic. You can choose from dark gray (“Asphalt”), navy blue, green (“Commando”), purple (“Ultraviolet”), and red. Note, though, that some colors are only available in the 6″ or 8″ version, not both. All five colors feature the same neat geometric pattern, which looks like the wings of a Stealth Fighter Jet, the inspiration for the Stealth name.
“Ultraviolet” Stealth Boxer Briefs
- Material and Fabric: The material is a synthetic blend of 37% Q-NOVA® Recycled Nylon, 25% Q-NOVA® Nylon, 28% Polyester, and 10% Spandex. Whew! You need to know that I require a minimum of 10% Spandex/elastane on synthetic underwear, which Stealth has. And having recycled nylon content is a lovely, environmentally-friendly feature. Mack Weldon also notes that Stealth boxer briefs are “seawater and chlorine-safe.”
- Flys: No fly.
- Ball Pouches: Mack Weldon offers no special, separated pouches like Saxx or Separatec. But Mack Weldon includes their own Flyless MotionCTRL Pouch, which is custom designed but does not include any separation. Either way, the pouch was comfortable, although a tad tighter than my other Mack Weldon underwear and tighter than looser brands like Saxx.
- Branded Waistbands: Stealth has a logo-less waistband like all Mack Weldon underwear. Yet, unlike other Mack Weldon underwear, the waistband is covered by the same fabric as the rest of the underwear, instead of Mack Weldon’s signature gray waistband with white and blue striping.
- Multipacks: Yes! You can save by getting three, six, or nine pairs at a time through Mack Weldon’s Pack Builder, as mentioned above.
- Design Country: United States
Overall, if you want to wear underwear in the water or other wet situations, you should try out Mack Weldon’s Stealth Boxer Briefs. Let me know in the comments your experience with Mack Weldon Stealth boxer briefs or any other underwear you like wearing in the pool or at the beach.
Frequently Asked Questions about Mack Weldon Stealth Boxer Briefs
Yes! Mack Weldon notes that Stealth boxer briefs are “seawater and chlorine-safe,” meaning you can wear them in the ocean and the pool. I soaked my boxer briefs during my try on test and they dried out pretty quickly. If you are thinking of wearing cotton boxer briefs into the pool, stop! Get underwear made for the water.
You can wear them everyday, but I believe you would be more comfortable with a lighter fabric. My husband wears Stealth boxer briefs a few times per week as his regular underwear, but I prefer to wear either Mack Weldon’s AIRKNITx underwear or a bamboo/modal blend.
If you are ok with wearing swim jammers or swim briefs, then you should be comfortable wearing Stealth boxer briefs on their own. However, remember that the tag is on the back of the right leg. The tag specifically says “boxer briefs.” Thus, if someone sees this, they probably would assume you are wearing underwear in the pool.
I found them a tad looser than other Mack Weldon underwear. My husband fits a medium perfectly, even though he tends to wear a large size for his other underwear. I fit ok in medium Stealth boxer briefs, but the waistband is a tad loose.
There are cheaper options, but anything high-quality in this niche underwear category is going to be at least $25-30 per pair. Check out my complete Guide to Wearing Underwear under Boardshorts for a complete list of options.
My Latest Blog Posts
- AIRKNITx Review: Mack Weldon’s Best Value Underwear
- Underwear with Pockets: The Ultimate Utility Underwear?
- Underwear Discounts: How to Buy Quality Underwear for Less
- Bn3th Classic Boxer Briefs: MyPackage Pouch Underwear Review
- 5 Men’s Underwear To Avoid – Don’t Make These Mistakes!
- Jockey Microfiber Boxer Briefs: Are They a Good Buy?