Written By: Eric @ MensUnderwearGuide.com, Founder and Head Writer of MensUnderwearGuide.com
Disclaimer: Product links contain affiliate marketing links where I get a small commission when you purchase from that site. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my Affiliate Marketing Policy here. Also, please verify all product and pricing information directly with the linked brands. MensUnderwearGuide.com is not responsible for errors or product discrepancies.
Author’s note: Shinesty sent me these Big Bang boxer briefs complimentary to review. They are not sponsoring or compensating me or this post in any other way (other than affiliate marketing), and all opinions are solely mine.
I love comedy, and I have a pretty good sense of humor. I am also not shy at all when it comes to sexual humor and stories, especially when it comes to men’s underwear. Thus, I was so excited to receive my first pair of Shinesty’s ball hammock underwear, primarily because of the “Big Bang” X-Rated pattern on them.
When I first discovered Shinesty’s ball hammock underwear while researching underwear ball pouches, I wasn’t too keen on the patterns. I prefer more subdued underwear, mostly solid colors and bland patterns. Yet, later on, I discovered Shinesty’s X-Rated underwear, and I loved the humor!
I find all of Shinesty’s X-Rated underwear comical, yet I always had my eye on their Big Bang pattern from the first time I saw it. Astronomy is so fascinating, and I have a goal of one day seeing the Milky Way in the sky (I have always lived in big cities). Designing star constellations to be sexual poses is genius – “cumstellations” as Shinesty notes – especially when placed on men’s underwear. I just had to have these Shinesty boxer briefs!
Trying on Shinesty Boxer Briefs
Readers know I am a massive fan of modal underwear, and Shinesty boxer briefs don’t disappoint, using a 95% modal and 5% Spandex blend. The 95%/5% blend is ubiquitous for modal and bamboo underwear, although more luxurious brands may offer up to 8-10% Spandex content (which makes a difference). So while I was excited to start wearing these boxer briefs because of the pattern (if you can’t tell, I love the Big Bang pattern), once I took them out of the package, the familiar softness of modal attracted me immediately.
Ball Hammock vs. Ball Park Pouch Design
I previously reviewed Separatec’s Dual Pouch and Saxx’s BallPark Pouch. Before trying Shinesty’s boxer briefs, I looked carefully at their Ball Hammock pouch. Shinesty’s pouch is similar to Saxx in that they are separated single-pouch designs. The key difference is where the pouch’s guardrails end: Shinesty’s Ball Hammock pouch makes a U-shape, while Saxx’s pouch is I-shaped.
After putting on Shinesty’s boxer briefs, the difference in pouch design is quite apparent. I didn’t feel Shinesty’s pouch when wearing these boxer briefs; this is either a fantastic feature or a debatable add-on. With Saxx’s Ball Park pouch, I felt my balls were in a separate compartment and had more room to breathe. It was obvious that Saxx’s guardrails provided separation between my balls and my legs. Shinesty’s didn’t offer this feeling, which again means the pouch is so natural I couldn’t feel it, or my balls didn’t fit in the pouch. Either way, I don’t find Shinesty’s pouch as a “value add” per se.
You will want to compare Shinesty to both Saxx (read my Saxx Underwear guide here) and also to Bn3th. Bn3th offers a similar U-shaped pouch as Shinesty, but I found Bn3th a bit more comfortable. Check out my complete Bn3th review here.
Blog post continues after these brief announcements…
Subscribe to my monthly underwear newsletter: MensUnderwearGuide.com/Subscribe
Watch my most popular YouTube shorts!
I wore my Shinesty boxer briefs for two days to cover a range of experiences and see how comfortable or uncomfortable they got. I never felt uncomfortable; this is why modal is the best underwear fabric for men. My Shinesty boxer briefs often felt like I wasn’t wearing them, which is how underwear should be.
My Shinesty boxer briefs performed well at the gym too. While modal won’t wick away sweat on the same level as microfiber, modal does a far better job than cotton. While I own Shinesty’s standard boxer briefs, Shinesty also makes long-leg boxer briefs and “cooling” boxer briefs made from microfiber for guys performing intense workouts.
I also want to give a special shoutout to Shinesty’s waistband. Not only did it have a subdued logo – which I far prefer than being a walking billboard – but the interior waistband material was so comfortable. It is one of the softest waistbands I own. A smooth waistband is a massive win because I find many waistbands uncomfortable – even if the underwear itself is fantastic – so I appreciate a soft waistband.
My Cautionary Notes on Shinesty Boxer Briefs
On the other hand, while Shinesty’s Ball Hammock pouch is comfortable, I prefer Saxx’s Ball Park pouch design as I felt cooler. I also didn’t feel like my balls were weightless like my Separatec Dual Pouch. Again, nothing wrong with Shinesty’s Ball Hammock pouch, just that I didn’t feel like it added any value. In a way, not feeling the pouch defeats the purpose of buying underwear with a special separated ball pouch.
Additionally, my Calvin Klein modal boxer briefs feel more luxurious with 8-10% Spandex content compared to Shinesty’s 5% Spandex blend. Again, Shinesty’s 5% Spandex content is very commonly paired with modal, so not a knock against Shinesty, but instead, I’m mentioning that more luxurious modal blends exist.
- Body modal underwear boxer briefs multipack featuring a body defining fit
- Ultra soft hand micro modal fabric with added stretch for comfort
- Luxurious drape
- Soft and smooth waistband for additional all day comfort
- Contour pouch flattens physique on bottom
Overall, I can’t say anything wrong about these Shinesty boxer briefs. They were very comfortable, had an awesome pattern (how many more times am I going to mention this?), and I never had any issues. If you are into humorous men’s underwear and bold prints – including Shinesty’s X-Rated collection, which I love! – Shinesty boxer briefs are an excellent addition to any guy’s underwear collection.
Details on Shinesty Boxer Briefs
As with all my underwear reviews, I note the essential parts when buying new men’s underwear. These bullet points allow you to focus on what makes the most difference to your underwear comfort.
- Length: I reviewed Shinesty’s boxer briefs, which come with a standard 6” inseam length. Shinesty also offers a full range of men’s underwear, including briefs, trunks (3” inseam), and long-leg boxer briefs (8.5” inseam – read my long-leg boxer briefs guide here). Shinesty also sells athletic shorts and swim trunks with its built-in underwear as well.
- Price: $$$. Shinesty’s regular collection of men’s underwear is $28/pair as of August 2023, while Shinesty’s cooling boxers collection is $35/pair. Yet, it is easy to knock down the price. One way is to use Shinesty’s pack builder, in which you can save up to 25% by buying in bulk. A second way is by subscribing to Shinesty’s monthly subscription service. Shinesty’s subscription plans provide up to 35% savings and do not require you to lock yourself into a contract. A third way is to use my coupon code GUIDE10 for $10 off a $30+ order for new customers or AFF20 for 20% off a $150+ order. Finally, Shinesty sells a limited inventory on Amazon too.
- SUPPORTS THE FAMILY JEWELS - our proprietary pouch underwear for men provides all day comfort, eliminates the need for adjustments, and keeps your goods off your legs
- STOPS SWAMP ASS BEFORE IT STARTS, NATURALLY - Our fabric is moisture wicking and provides more breathability than synthetics to help keep your undercarriage fresh and regulated all day
- FEELS LIKE WEARING NOTHING AT ALL - They're made from a miracle material called MicroModal that's 3x softer than cotton. Our underwear features 4-way stretch, anti-ride-up and anti-chafing leg construction, no-itch stitching, a gusseted crotch, and are completely tagless
- A BODACIOUS BULGE ENHANCER - Ball Hammock construction elevates and lifts to attractively position the goods. Enjoy the longful looks from anyone lucky enough to catch a glimpse
- 6" INSEAM WITH FLY CONSTRUCTION: If you had any quicker access when it’s needed, you’d probably be peeing in your pants. You can thank us later
- Colors and Patterns: By now, you know that I love my Big Bang boxer briefs. Shinesty shines with bold and crazy patterns, so if you love cartoon and novelty boxers, Shinesty is a wonderful place to shop. However, Shinesty also offers some solid colors for more conservative guys.
- Material and Fabric: All of Shinesty’s regular men’s underwear contains 95% modal and 5% Spandex. This fabric blend is prevalent for modal underwear, which works well, but isn’t as luxurious as Calvin Klein’s 92% modal/8% Spandex blend. Shinesty also offers “cooling” boxer briefs made from synthetic and natural materials for moisture-wicking.
- Flys: Most Shinesty boxer briefs don’t come with functional flys; however, some patterns come with a vertical functional fly. If you want a fly, make sure the pair you picked out has “with fly” written on the image and in the title. Otherwise, it doesn’t come with a functional fly.
- Penis Pouches: As mentioned above, Shinesty includes their Ball Hammock single separated pouch in all men’s underwear. Scroll above to know the difference between U-shaped and I-shaped ball pouches.
- Branded waistbands: Shinesty’s waistbands are relatively subdued, which I very much appreciate. More importantly, I thought Shinesty’s waistband was super comfortable and one of the softest waistbands I own.
- Multipacks: Shinesty offers a pack builder, with discounts starting at 5% for two packs and going up to 25% for five pairs or more. What I don’t like about the pack builder, however, is that you can’t mix and match styles. You can’t buy some briefs and boxer briefs together to get higher discounts.
- Design Country: United States
Do you own any Shinesty underwear? Are there other pouches you wear? Let me know in the comments section!
My Latest Blog Posts
- Mack Weldon AIRKNITx: Mack Weldon’s Best Value Underwear?
- Underwear with Pockets: The Ultimate Utility Underwear?
- Underwear Discounts: How to Buy Quality Underwear for Less
- Bn3th Classic Boxer Briefs: MyPackage Pouch Underwear Review
- 5 Men’s Underwear To Avoid – Don’t Make These Mistakes!
- Jockey Microfiber Boxer Briefs: Are They a Good Buy?
Last update on 2023-09-23 at 22:15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API