Written By: Eric @ MensUnderwearGuide.com, Founder and Head Writer of MensUnderwearGuide.com
Disclaimer: Product links contain affiliate marketing links where I get a small commission when you purchase from that site. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my Affiliate Marketing Policy here. Also, please verify all product and pricing information directly with the linked brands. MensUnderwearGuide.com is not responsible for errors or product discrepancies.
Author’s Note: I purchased the Intimissimi underwear in this blog post with my own money.
Table of Contents
- How I discovered Intimissimi
- In-Depth Review of Intimissimi Men Cotton Boxers
- Conclusion: The boxers are ok plus other brands you may enjoy
I am a serious Europhile, a lover of Europe and Europeans. My husband and I have visited Europe five times, including a three-month summer vacation in Scandinavia. It wasn’t until our most recent trip to Europe that I started looking at European underwear. Our hotel in Portugal was adjacent to a mall with an Intimissimi Underwear store (Intimissimi has US stores, too!). While the store focused almost entirely on women’s underwear, there was a small section for guys. I didn’t purchase any underwear there; however, I signed up for Intimissimi men email list.
Later that year, Intimissimi announced an excellent holiday sale, which triggered the purchase of my first international underwear. As I note below, what drew me to Intimissimi’s underwear were the cool color patterns, including the contrasting stitching. Most of my underwear is solid colors, and Intimissimi’s lineup allowed me to keep solid colors while still having fun with offset colors on the stitching. The price was also great, allowing me to buy three pairs without feeling like I was splurging.
Reviewing Intimissimi Men Supima Cotton Boxers
Below is my review of Intimissimi’s Stretch Supima Cotton Boxers, of which I have two pairs. If you haven’t read my Ultimate Guide to Men’s Boxer Briefs and Trunks, you may want to reference that page as you go through my underwear criteria. Otherwise, please sit back and enjoy!
- Length: Since Intimissimi is Italian, and hence European, keep in mind that “boxers” means trunks. Once on, these trunks are barely longer than regular briefs and equivalent to square-cut trunks. While I had an idea of the length based on the model photos, I was pretty surprised when I first got them. These trunks feel even shorter than they appear! If you are buying these as trunks, be aware that these are square-cut trunks and shorter than American-style trunks.
- Price: ($$) Generally, they are in the $15-$20 range; however, Intimissimi often has sales. When the sales arrive, you can stock up on these quite comfortably. Free shipping minimums can be a bit high for shipping to the United States, so stocking up during a sale also potentially allows you to waive shipping fees. However, I would not buy these Intimissimi cotton boxers for $18 – you can buy better modal and bamboo underwear for cheaper.
- Colors and Patterns: My favorite part about Intimissimi men cotton boxers is the colors. I love the two-tone color with a solid color for the fabric and a highlight color for the stitching. Not just in underwear, but in everything, I like combining contrasting colors. And the contrast between the stitching and the rest of the underwear hits my eyes’ sweet spot (see comparison below). Intimissimi offers several color combinations, so it is easy to find color combinations you’ll enjoy. I have two pairs of dark blue fabric with light blue stitching and dark gray fabric with olive green stitching.
- Material and Fabric: As the name implies, these boxers are a cotton blend of 93% cotton and 7% elastane. While they aren’t as “heavy” as boxer briefs in the 96% cotton/4% elastane range, these boxers are still relatively thick for my preferences. Nonetheless, the amount of elastane is reasonable for the price range and provides enough stretch for basic boxer briefs or trunks. Intimissimi’s cotton trunks are a good everyday pair, although you may want to consider other options for specific situations:
- If you prefer lighter underwear, you may want to look elsewhere for modal underwear or bamboo underwear. I personally wear Calvin Klein modal boxer briefs and Seperatec’s bamboo briefs. Especially when lounging around, I believe you can’t beat modal or bamboo! Here are some examples below (and you can find more on my Find Your Ideal Pair):
- Ultra soft hand micro modal fabric with added stretch
- Body defining fit with contour shapes
- Luxurious drape fabric
- If you are working out or sweating heavily, the high cotton component of Intimissimi’s cotton boxers will soak up the sweat. For example, when I was cutting the grass a while ago, these cotton trunks were drenched in sweat all over. Wearing polyester or micro modal underwear pairs are superior in these situations since the materials are quick-drying.
- Look into microfiber boxer briefs. I wrote about my Puma Performance Boxer Briefs and my Jockey Microfiber Boxer Briefs, both of which I love. Calvin Klein’s microfiber trunks, which are as good as Puma’s in terms of quick-drying, are available with shorter trunk lengths like Intimissimi’s for guys that prefer trunks. On the other hand, if you suffer from chafing or skin irritation on your legs, you’ll want to look into long-leg boxer briefs instead.
- Flys: The flys are not functional. If you are used to wearing Hanes or American Eagle cotton boxer briefs, not having a fly may be new to you. Yet, as I detail in my Ultimate Guide to Boxer Briefs, I eventually got used to no-fly underwear, and now it doesn’t factor into my decision-making.
- Ball Pouches: All of Intimissimi’s underwear for men comes with penis pouches, which I consider a must-have. The non-separated pouches don’t have the bells and whistles as other brands, yet that isn’t necessary for this price range.
- Wide Calvin Klein logo waistband
- Metallic detailing for elevated style
- Flat lock seaming for additional comfort
- Branded Waistbands: All Intimissimi men cotton boxers have branded waistbands. However, depending on the color scheme you choose, the branding ranges from very obvious to nearly invisible (such as the black on black color scheme). Even with visible branding, I find Intimissimi’s logo to be quite calming (yes, an interesting feeling) and I am cool with it. The cotton boxers’ logos are smaller than Intimissimi’s microfiber line, which extends most of the waistband width. Plus, since Intimissimi is a European brand and unknown by most Americans, some people may be curious about what you are wearing. 😉
- One feature of Intimissimi’s waistband is that it is slightly shorter than “normal” waistbands. Most men’s underwear have around 1.5 inch (3.8cm) waistband, although some larger waistbands go up to 2 inches (5.1cm). Intimissimi’s waistband is smaller at 1.25 inches (3.2cm). The smaller waistband is important for low-rise underwear, especially if you do not want your underwear waistband to show above your trousers. I also prefer shorter waistbands as they are more comfortable on my skin.
- Multipacks: Intimissimi often offers a 3-pack for $45, which is an ok deal at $15/pair. At this price, I would buy better and less expensive bamboo or modal underwear from other brands. Examples include Separatec’s bamboo briefs or David Archy’s boxer briefs, which I prefer over Intimissimi’s cotton boxers for everyday wear and lounging.
- Design Country: Intimissimi is based in Italy and uses European terminology and sizing. They have a U.S. website that you will need to use to order if you live in the United States and uses U.S. sizing (small through XL). However, the U.S. website still calls trunks as “boxers,” which I am sure throws off plenty of American guys that visit the website.
Blog post continues after these brief announcements…
Subscribe to my monthly underwear newsletter: MensUnderwearGuide.com/Subscribe
Watch my most popular YouTube shorts!
To Buy or Not to Buy Intimissimi Men Supima Cotton Boxers?
Intimissimi men cotton boxers are akin to wearing premium Hanes or American Eagle’s classic cotton boxer briefs and trunks, with an Italian twist. My favorite part is the coloring as I love the exciting color combinations and the stitching highlighting. However, for $15-18 per pair, I believe you can do a lot better for better pricing.
On the flip side, I find the length of these “boxers” too short. I like my trunks to be in the 2” to 3” range, essentially boxer briefs, just shorter on the legs (read my underwear profile on my About page). While I have recently started adding briefs to my rotation, these trunks are too “baggy” to be briefs. For fans of square-cut trunks, you’ll love these. For everyone else, just be prepared how short they will be once you are wearing them. Alternatively, you can purchase Intimissimi’s Supima Cotton briefs instead.
Overall, these trunks are ideal for lovers of square-cut trunks who are looking to stock up or want a rainbow of color combinations in their lineup. They are suitable for others who are already wearing cotton blend underwear with at least 92% cotton, such as Hanes or American Eagle, and looking for additional color. On the other hand, if you prefer lightweight materials – such as modal, my favorite material – or need underwear for high-sweat situations, you would be wise to look at Jockey’s Microfiber Boxer Briefs, Mack Weldon AIRKNITx – which I quite enjoy! – or other polyester-based boxer briefs.
Finally, if you live in the United States and don’t want to pay high shipping costs or wait until Intimissimi Men has free shipping sales, there are other similar brands and styles on Amazon. Here is a couple that is similar or superior to Intimissimi:
- Versatile Performance Mens Underwear: Made from Bamboo Rayon--a kind of cellulose fiber extracted from bamboo. It is featured with good air permeability, instant moisture wicking, lightweight and stable dyeing property. Ultra soft fabric, more breathable and lightweight than cotton underwear
- Upgrade U-Pouch Design: Ultra U-Pouch provides more space and keeps man's private area comfortably and isolating male anatomy from inner thighs
- Mens Underwear with Wide and Stretchy Waistband: Filament nylon waistband with metallic look, with attractive brand logo embellishment and waistband does not roll up
- UNIQUE DESIGN: The waistband of this men's trunks underwear is not ordinary elastic webbing, but is treated with fabric wrapped around an elastic band. This special design not only reduces the friction of ordinary belts on the skin, but also greatly improves the durability of the product. At the same time, it is not easy to cause the belt to curl up and slide down.
- APPROPRIATE SUPPORT: Our trunk underwear men provides excellent support where you need it most. The contoured pouch keeps everything in place and provides extra support, while the elastic waistband provides additional support and comfort.
- Comfort & Breathability: Our trunks for men is designed to provide exceptional comfort all day long. The soft and breathable bamboo fabric ensures that you stay cool and comfortable even during intense activities, while the seamless design prevents chafing and irritation.
Let me know if you have any Intimissimi men’s underwear or your thoughts on other European brands in the comments!
My Latest Blog Posts
- Mack Weldon AIRKNITx: Mack Weldon’s Best Value Underwear?
- Underwear with Pockets: The Ultimate Utility Underwear?
- Underwear Discounts: How to Buy Quality Underwear for Less
- Bn3th Classic Boxer Briefs: MyPackage Pouch Underwear Review
- 5 Men’s Underwear To Avoid – Don’t Make These Mistakes!
- Jockey Microfiber Boxer Briefs: Are They a Good Buy?
Last update on 2023-09-23 at 22:43 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API